Tuesday, June 8, 2010

How Have I Been Here for Almost Two Years and Not Known About...

ZAPOTE?!

I went to visit my drive-up fruit guy today to buy pitahaya (dragon fruit), it just came into season and I am so happy about it. In addition to the pitahaya and limes that I bought he asked if I wanted some zapote. I said I didnt know what it was. He seemed surprised and went to get one. Leaning into the passenger's side window he showed me this round fruit with a rough brown exterior. He cut out a slice to reveal a bright, dark, rich, orange flesh, with a beautiful dark brown seed, much like that of an avocado. I tasted the slice and then quickly told him I would buy it!


The texture of the fruit reminds me of a cross between an avocado, banana, papaya and a yam. The taste, I cant quite describe. I keep eating more and more of it to try to put my finger on at least one thing it tastes like. It is sweet, mild and kinda creamy. One website said it has a "berry-like" flavor, which I disagree with because it is in no way sour or tangy, as many berries can be. It has some soft strings, not like a mango, more like an avocado and they have a stronger, more fragrant taste, that tastes some how familiar. Ooooo and I am discovering as I eat more and more of it, that it actually has three pretty seeds in the middle and not just one. I haven't been able to find too much about what health benefits the zapote provides besides the obvious high level of anti-oxidants that many bright colored fruits have, as well as a good source of fiber.

Zapote is now my new obsession, and I am sure will make for some fun new shakes and dessert ideas!

2 comments:

Ceilidh said...

Ooo, la la! Did Ivan know about it?

Sara said...

Haha, yes, Ivan knows about it! When he came home from work I told him about my amazing discovery and he was like "eewwww! I hate that!" Maybe thats why he kept it a secret from me for all this time!